This is a story about a chair. An unwanted ratty old sewing chair. It was a throw in when we bought the Juki industrial sewing machine from a sweet little old lady who had a quilting obsession.
The hubs saw junk….I saw potential.
This chair is probably from around the late 60′s, so at least 40 to 50 years old. And it appears to be hand crafted judging by the large old nuts and bolts used to attach the corners on the inside of the seat’s storage.
The above photo is just after I sanded off the flaking dark brown stain. The vinyl covering on the removable storage seat was tattered at the corners and the chair pad was showing through.
I had some toile fabric in a cream and black print from my grandmothers dining room curtains….but I hesitated on that thought and several months passed before I took another look at the chair. ( Was this the project I would use that precious material for? )
On one of my excursions to a garden nursery ( I stalk them every weekend… it’s an addiction ), I saw some huge coffee bean sack’s for $1.50. A sucker for burlap, I grabbed one to hold on to for that perfect thingy thing some day.
For the fabric, I removed the old vinyl covering and used a Jiffy marker to put a little arrow on the disassembled pieces to mark the correct way up so when I stapled my fabric on, I was keeping my lettering going the right way.
I used the wood seat and back rest forms to trace out the pieces of fabric and backing I would need leaving a generous seam allowance to get it over the edge. The fusible backing will give the burlap sacking a strong firmness so when I’m pulling on it to get it over the edge, it doesn’t stretch out. A necessary step not to be skipped.
I tossed the old cushions and used the wood seat form to outline my new foam for cutting. Then I stretched the fabric over and stapled to the back. The back rest came in two pieces so the raw edges got sandwiched together. But for the seat, I recycled the original seam covering and reattached it.
I gave the wood a distressed look in the usual manner, hitting it with some chain, painting on a loose layer of paint, sanding again after dry and then using an antiquing medium to add some ‘grittiness’.
I love this chair. It’s perfect….